Europe is clearly on top of the list of Indian citizens for a perfect Vacation. It has so much to offer from Strong History, Vibrant Culture, Ancient Architecture, Incredible Landscapes to Charming Cities and Delicious Cuisines. Unfortunately, it’s not that simple to get a Visa for Europe (Especially with an Indian passport).
Getting a Schengen Visa is challenging and time consuming. We get a lot of queries regarding the same. In this guide, we have explained the nitty-gritties of applying for Schengen Visa along with the list of essential documents and processing time.
Schengen Visa covers a total of 26 countries including both 22 European and 4 Non-European countries. This Visa was introduced to make traveling easier within European member countries.
Indian citizens can apply for Schengen Tourist Visa which allows you to travel to these European countries without any hassle.
Schengen Visa application can be submitted maximum 90 days prior to the travel date, not before that. The basic documentation for all the countries remains the same but each country has different or special requirement and the process for each country might differ. All Indian passport holders can apply for a Schengen Visa, but before that you need you understand documents required and eligibility.
Go through the Visa documents checklist and eligibility, before you apply for Schengen Visa from India.
Things To Know Before Applying For Schengen Visa
- The maximum duration of stay: To obtain a Schengen visa, applicants need to apply visa according to your filed itinerary having maximum duration of stay.
- First port of entry: Applicants need to specify the first port of entry while applying for Schengen visa in their itinerary, In case they have equal stay for two of the countries of visit.
- The main purpose of visit: Applicants must clearly mention the sole purpose of visit to Schengen countries
Document Requirements for Indian Passport Holders
- Schengen visa form correctly filled and signed.
- Two passport photos must be attached taken against white background of size (35mm x 45mm) with 80% face size.
- Passport valid for at least 3 months beyond return date with at least two blank pages.
- Travel Visa Insurance covering expenses up to 30,000 Euros within entire schengen area.
- A cover letter stating the purpose of visit and itinerary.
- Proof of sufficient financial means for the period of stay.
- Flight itinerary reservation with proof of accomodation for whole intended stay.
- Professional documents are required.
Schengen Visa Types
Tourist Schengen Visa:
Tourist Schengen visa is an approval to visit any country within the Schengen area for pleasure, tourism or to visit family/ friends. The number of days will be indicated on the visa, which cannot exceed 90 days in the period of six months.
Business Schengen Visa:
This type of visa allows applicants to do business in the country of destination. Any restrictions to business activities will be stated on the visa.
Student Schengen Visa:
The holder of this type of visa is allowed to stay and study in the country which granted the permission for enrolment, issued by the school. This visa does not allow access to the permanent residence and involves certain restrictions.